I know for a fact that there is some seriously great material being written in the fair land of M20 and beyond.
If you’re a young (well, 16-21 year old – age is just a number and all that!) writer living in the north of England, you might want to consider applying for the biennially recruited writing program run by a fantastic organisation called The Writing Squad. Whether you’re into writing novels, articles, short stories, flash fiction, lyrics, blogs, micro poetry, performance pieces or tragicomic monologues about quasi-tronic robodogs, as long as you’re WRITING, they want to hear from YOU.
It’s not about having a degree in creative writing, or having recently published the new White Teeth: this is an opportunity for people really serious about getting to grips with the skills involved in being a writer, and developing on their pre-existing talent and ambition.
Successful applicants receive loads of great perks that help you both to hone your craft and to meet other useful people in the lit-o-sphere, including:
- One-on-one training with writing professionals
- A support network of writers, editors and Writing Squad grads who provide advice throughout every stage of the program (and beyond!)
- Detailed email feedback about your writing from the course tutor
- Four dedicated Writing Squad days per year, again with professional writers
- Opportunities to work on a variety of projects across the country
And did I mention that the whole thing is totally free???
To apply to join The Writing Squad, put the following things into a PDF or Word document:
- Some examples of your writing, in whatever form it may take
- A cover letter (no more than 2 pages!) about yo fine self, your writing and what you would like to gain by joining the Writing Squad
and send them to email@example.com
Also send: “up to ten pages of prose/script or ten poems/songs, or URLs where we can watch or listen to your work”, and let them know which workshop location you’d like to attend: Manchester, Sheffield or Newcastle.
DEADLINE: MIDNIGHT, SUNDAY 30TH MARCH 2014
Click here to see the website for more info.